02 March 2015

Humility

We often see humility coupled with pride, especially in the Book of Mormon. For a long time, I think that I misinterpreted humility: I understood it as a low view of my own importance. Now I would say that having humility is having a modest view of my own importance.
"Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking about yourself less."

I believe that we are all children of a loving Heavenly Father, and each one of us are of utmost importance! However, we must remember that God is our Father and has given us everything. As we acknowledge His power and mercy, we are showing Him our love. We must be willing to submit to His will. 

"Humility is not a sign of weakness; it is a sign of spiritual strength."

My patriarchal blessing counsels me to be humble. It says that I must always give credit to my Heavenly Father for the gifts and blessings that I possess, for they are gifts of the Spirit that He has given to me. I am confident that I can do whatever the Lord requires of me, as long as I rely on Him. That confidence is in God (not in myself) and it enables me to do things far beyond my own capability.


Humility and gratitude bring some of the greatest happiness to my life. Bekah recently mused, "I definitely know that gratitude and happiness are inseparable. You can't be grateful and not be happy. That just is not a thing." I agree with her wholeheartedly.

I love this general conference talk given by Bishop Edgley in 2003: The Empowerment of Humility. It brought tears to my eyes as I thought of all the wonderful, humble examples in my life.
"They are consistently doing the unnoticed, the unspectacular, but humbly and righteously doing the important."
It brought tears to my eyes as I thought of the ultimate example of humility- my Savior Jesus Christ. I am so thankful for the love and mercy of my Lord that allow me to become a better person. Not in my own right, but to further His work and build His Kingdom. I am thankful for the gospel in my life and the many experiences I have that humble me. Sometimes it is hard to admit that while I am in the process of being humbled, but I know that it is for my good. I am humbled to know that I am a daughter of God and He loves me so very much. With that knowledge, I hope to help other people feel His love. 


1 comment:

  1. I am so honored to have been included in your post. You are loved a whole lot, and thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete