03 April 2014

A Blessing in Disguise

Since serving as a class officer in the eighth grade, my greatest ambition was to be elected as senior class president. Some people might cringe at the thought of planning reunions for the rest of their lives, but I craved it. I love planning, helping, and creating memories. My only drawback while I considered running for office was the possibility of failure. I would feel humiliated to put my name before my peers, to actively campaign, to work so hard: only to fail. Finally, after months of preparation--emotionally and otherwise--I took the final step of fulfilling my dream and put my name on the ballot. 

During those weeks, I forced myself to set aside my fears of rejection. I invested my heart in my campaign. After an exhausting first round of elections, I made it through the primaries. I was empowered by this accomplishment, and I began to enjoy myself through the rest of campaigns. It was fun to encourage my peers to vote, and I soon forgot my apprehension in running. Then came the day of final elections. I gave a speech that morning, and was told to expect a phone call from the current senior class president that evening. 

As soon as I got to the sanction of home, away from the influence of my peers, I sat in my room for three hours unable to do anything but wait for that phone call- a call that would determine my senior year of high school. I have to say, I felt very confident that I would win after being told so by teachers, friends, and family. But doubt still nagged at me. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the phone rang and I hesitantly picked up. For a moment, my heart leapt for joy! Then like a shipwreck, it plunged, when I heard his melancholy voice. I lost. I lost. I lost. That is the only thought I had as I began to cry. Everything I had worked for and dreamed of in the last four years was gone, over a simple phone call.

I put my heart into that election, and frankly it was the first time I had ever truly lost something. Sure, I’ve lost a few tennis matches and races and card games; but I’ve never lost a close family member, I’ve never lost a close friend, and I’ve never gotten less than an A. I really felt like a failure when I wasn’t elected. However, that feeling did not last. My friends and family immediately helped me get back on my feet and be okay. Through their support, I realized that I am surrounded by people who truly love me. I know that their love is unconditional. This understanding has carried me through other hardships since then. Also, a few days after the bad news, I was called to serve on Viewmont’s LDS Seminary Council. In hindsight, I see that I would have missed that opportunity if I were elected, among many others. 

I am reminded of this “failure” everyday at school, but I now consider it a blessing. The most important lesson I have gained from this experience is to trust in the Lord at all costs. Even though my plan to be senior class president seemed good and uplifting, it was not what He had in store for me. Instead, I’ve been blessed to know who my true friends are, I’ve been able to spend precious time with family before I leave for good, and I’ve been presented with countless ordinary, yet powerful, opportunities to serve my peers. 

2 comments:

  1. Nena i love you and miss you!!! You truly served me all throughout senior year, more than you'll ever know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie I just saw your comment. I didn't think anyone read this blog hehe. I love you, and hope all is going well up at Utah State!

      Delete